Senator International is a dynamic and growing freight forwarder in the southeast US. We are looking for a person to work in our brokerage department who comes with a minimum of two years of experience handling Customs entries, including general freight and PGA-governed cargo. You must be self-motivated, goal oriented, excited to learn new things about Customs brokerage, and eager to be part of a team that supports you and expects your mutual support. Occasional weekend work may be required and regular weekend availability is a bonus, as is experience in Cargowise. We offer a happy and friendly workplace, flexible schedules, and standard benefits. Please apply if you can see yourself at Senator.
Universal Forest Products is a $4.5 billion company that supplies wood and wood alternative products to the retail, industrial, and construction markets. Founded in 1955, the company has ~ 80 locations across the US and other countries.
The Customs Compliance Analyst is responsible for various activities that are required for the successful management of the company’s Customs Compliance operations.
• Electronically files ISF’s and Customs entries for UFP affiliates, utilizing 3rd-party software.
• Performs classification of products utilizing the Harmonized Tariff Schedule, Customs Rulings Online Search System (CROSS), Explanatory Notes, and Informed Compliance Publications.
• Updates and maintains HTS numbers in master spreadsheets as well as in 3rd-party software system, including images of products and HTS justification.
• Proactively communicates with UFP affiliates to obtain correct and complete information that is essential to accurately classify products, determine proper valuation, comply with recordkeeping requirements, and timely transmit data to Customs.
• Monitors 3rd-party software for shipments placed on Customs or USDA Hold, then performs steps necessary to obtain clearance (e.g., arranging drayage to exam site, paying for exam, sending documentation to Customs/USDA, etc.).
• Uses Excel spreadsheets to record and track status of inbound shipments to ensure timely filing of ISF’s, Customs entries, and to monitor the status of shipments on USDA or Customs Hold.
• Communicates with freight forwarders, carriers, port terminals, buyers, logistics department, vendors, and Customs Compliance Manager as needed.
• 2+ years’ experience filing Customs entries and following through until released by Customs
• Advanced knowledge of Customs Regulations and classification under the Harmonized Tariff Schedule (HTS)
• Strong understanding of international logistics and Customs entry processes
Skills and abilities
• Strong attention to detail; speedy and accurate data entry skills; strong organization skills
• Assertiveness in calling other parties in order to resolve shipment holds at the ports
• Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Excel
• Excellent attendance; strong work ethic; motivated and enthusiastic
• Commitment to integrity and professionalism
• Be a team player and support the Company’s goals
Universal Forest Products offers a competitive benefits package with medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401(k), and employee stock purchase program.
Please send resume to Ken Skillman at firstname.lastname@example.org.